Sunday 11 August 2013

Go West young man....

With an athletics meet to attend in Haverfordwest this afternoon, I decided to spend the morning sea watching from Strumble Head. The wind was from the favoured North West but a little to light, with the consequence that the bird life was quite sparse. between 5:30 and 9:50 I only saw about 60-70 Manx Shearwaters, when I would expect to see 1000's, only 6 Guillemots and 1 Razorbill were recorded. Of note were 1 dark phase Acrtic Skua, 2 1cy Med gulls and 13 Common Scoter (5 drakes).
The Harbour Porposes showed frequently and did several Grey Seals, inc 1 immediately below the lookout.
Highlight of the day came just as I was about to finish when my attention was drawn to a couple of Herring Gulls which appeared to be mobbing something in the water. A quick scan with the bins found 3 Otters, a bitch and 2 cubs. I watched these for some 6-7 minutes as the swam past the lookout heading west, keeping close to the cliff base. 

No comments:

Post a Comment