Sunday 4 May 2014

Sun day

Whilst the weather was better than expected, the birding left a bit to be desired. Hoping to pick up Wood Warbler and Gropper for the year, saw a dip on both counts.A female Pied fly in CCF was a bonus, and plenty of male Redstarts in song, as I walked over Merthyr Common and back down Taf Bargoed.

Leps started to show from 10am onwards. No Green Hairstreaks but my first Large White of the year + my first Brown Silver line moth, plus the little beauty below. Any ideas Mark, Mike, Martin?





On the plant side, my first flowering Orchid for the year - a small, pale, Common Spotted Orchid.

4 comments:

  1. It looks like bramble shoot moth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its Ancylis badiana, go on to uk moths and check 1126

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, Thanks. That looks spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try the area of forestry just to the west of Tower colliery, Hirwaun (SN 9271 0375). I had decent views of a Gropper there on Sunday morning, whinchat too. As for Wood Warbler, see my post.

    ReplyDelete