Sunday 10 August 2014

Star time

All quiet on the birding front this weekend. Even a visit to Strumble, after doing my athletics duty in Haverfordwest, failed to produce anything of quality. Strumble did produce my first Bonxie of the year, and what I presume will be my last Swift. The only other bird to get excited about was...wait for it....no wait.... its really not waiting that long for.....a female Common Scoter! A Sooty Shearwater had passed through late morning.
The weeked was saved by a record count of Mallard on my WeBS this am - 88 and confirmed breeding record for Little Grebe - a pair with a half grown juv.

The big star of the weekend was, in fact, a small star or, more correctly, six of them in the shape of Collared Earthstar fungi found down Crymlyn Burrows yesterday, as a result of my need for a pit stop. Unfortunately the battery on the camera died about 10 minutes earlier. Earthstars are one of those fungi I've been hoping to find somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment