Sunday 11 January 2015

Kingfisher day

A long walk up over Merthyr common and back down Cwm Bargoed today didn't produce many species. I started, and finished with trying to locate a Brambling in the Chaffinch flock at Edwardsville, to no avail. Cwm Bargoed produced a small flock of about 20 Lesser Redpoll, and a Woodcock, whilst overhead a pair of Raven displayed and defending their territory from the resident Buzzards and Red Kite.

At Parc Taf Bargoed the wintering Water Rail showed well, allowing me to grab a couple of record shots (there always seemed to be twig in the road). A drake Teal was a surprise on the lakes (only my second record of the species here) whilst the Kingfisher gave a fly past.





I'm doing the Patchwork Challenge (Green division) this year covering Mill Road, Parc Taf Bargoed and Coed Cefn Fforest. 3 visits in and I'm on the grand total of 43 species. Over the last 9 yrs I've recorded a total of 86 species for these sites, so I'm 50% of the way to that total.

No comments:

Post a Comment