Sunday 14 June 2015

More from Gwyl Taf

When I took the moths back to Gwyl Taf to release them on Friday, I found half a dozen of these little Leafhoppers.

Sonronius dahlbomi


Looking on British Bugs website, I found Sonronius dahlbomi to be the closest match, but although the stated food plant, which was suspected to be either Raspberry or Willowherb, were there, the bugs were on a single Broad-leaved Dock plant and the distribution was given as southern and central England and not particularly abundant at that.
I sent the photo to them and today I got a reply from Joseph Botting, who confirmed it is Sonronius dahlbomi and to say tat he has had it in Llandrindod, and with his own observations, plus talking to some German experts, the strong suspicion is that the foodplant is actually Hogweed. Needless to say, this is the first record of it in Glamorgan, so keep your eyes peeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment