Friday 25 March 2016

Tiger, Tiger....

Making the most of the good weather today I took a long walk up over the ridge and back down the Taff trail. 1st stop was to check out the local Heronry. A group of 13 Crossbills, mixed males, females and juvs, and lots of singing Siskins greated me as I made my way to my view point. The Heron's looked to have had a good winter with a confirmed 9 nests, inc one with an almost fully fledged youngster, and a possible further 5 gives the highest number for a few years.
The walk over the ridge failed to provide a hoped for Wheatear, but plenty of Skylarks singing in the clear blue sky, made the walk worthwhile.
The walk back down produced two beetles for my year listing, one a tick - the dung beetle Aphodius prodromus and two Green Tiger Beetles - glad to get the latter so early - it was late May before I connected with the species last year.


Also picked up a new bee - Gwynne's Mining Bee

 

2 comments:

  1. Nice couple beetles martin and i did not see green tiger beetle last year .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday was a good day for dung beetle several seen in flight on my jolly around Varteg.

    ReplyDelete