Sunday 4 February 2018

Possdible SE

I was up doing my Raven count this morning and while I was sitting there, being snowed on in the dark, I heard the same call several times, coming from the Blaen-nant bog. At the time I wasn't sure what it was, but thought it sounded like an owl of some sort. I've just listened to recordings of male SE on the web and though it didn't sound 100% like them,  it was close enough for me to suspect that was what I heard. Martin Bevan has had SE there before and I saw one while doing a count a couple of years ago, so it is possible that one is back there.
Whatever it was, it was more interesting than the raven count, which at 53, was the third lowest February count: not much compensation for getting covered in snow, which then froze.

4 comments:

  1. Great News Mark and will try and go up one night after work .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The calls were coming from the large boggy area of hillside the tip side of the parish road, above the ponds.

      Delete
  2. Thats more or less where it was before.

    ReplyDelete