Sunday 6 May 2018

A sunny Sunday

Looking to make the most of the good weather, I made the trip down to Cwm Ivy for a days wander round Whitford Burrows. I had two targets in mind - one an almost nailed on, the other not so. Neither were avian, which was just as well as despite walking up the front and round the top end, I never saw the old lighthouse due to the sea fog. I did manage to pick up my first Whitethroat of the year! taking me to 180 for the year.

Both target species were found. The first, made an appearance very soon after I entered the open dunes at the op end of the Burrows and the sun started to burn through the mist. Southern Dune Tiger Beetle, Cicindela maritime. The beetles proved a bit trickier to photograph than the commoner Green Tiger beetles as they don't appear to share the later species curiosity. The Beetle proved to be quite common on any open dune area.

The second target species was a fungi. The Morel, Morchella esculenta. It took a while to find the first, but like buses a second soon followed.


 
I also picked up my first Dingy Skippers for the year and my first Dragonfly - a Broad-bellied Chaser

1 comment:

  1. Some nice photos and i have problem taking photos of green tiger beetles and dune tiger looks a cracker mate.

    ReplyDelete